Food Safety on Wheels
Food Safety on Wheels
Testing of food to instil confidence amongst consumers that food is safe to eat is important part of the food safety ecosystem. However, number and spread of food testing labs in the country is grossly inadequate. While, Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is working towards having more food testing labs both in the public as well as private sector, it has also initiated a scheme to provide mobile units for food testing to reach out to consumers through as many touch points as possible.
These mobile units are called “Food Safety on Wheels”. Apart from conducting simple tests for common adulterants in milk, water, edible oil and other items of food of daily consumption, these mobile units would also be used for awareness building around food safety, hygiene and promoting healthy eating habits in citizens at large and for conducting training and certification programme for food handlers and supervisors in food businesses, particularly petty food businesses. In addition, these mobile units would help the field functionaries in the States to enhance their outreach and conduct surveillance activities even in far-flung areas.
It is hoped that with passage of time, services provided through these mobile units, ‘Food Safety on Wheels’ would become popular amongst all stakeholders, namely, the citizens, the consumers, the food businesses and the field functionaries of the Food Safety Departments in the States. This would help to bring about a paradigm shift in food safety ecosystem in the country.
- Current Status
- Statewise list of Nodal Officer for Food Safety on Wheels (Mobile Lab). (Uploaded on: 25.04.2019) (PDF, 249 KB)
- Scheme Guidelines 2017 of Mobile Food Testing Laboratory on Food Safety on Wheels. (Uploaded on: 30.08.2017) (PDF, 2.07 MB)
- Operational Manual of Mobile Food Testing Laboratory on Food Safety on Wheels. (Uploaded on: 30.08.2017) (PDF, 2.75 MB)
- Manuals of Simple Methods for Testing of Common adulterants in Food. (Uploaded on: 30.08.2017) (PDF, 3.64 MB)
- MoU to be signed by States/UTs for the Mobile Food Testing Laboratory (MFTL)/Food Safety on Wheels (FSW). (Uploaded on: 26.07.2018)