Licensing and Registration of Food Business
MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND FAMILY WELFARE
(Food Safety and Standards Authority of India)
New Delhi, dated the 1st August, 2011
F.No. 2-15015/30/2010 Whereas in exercise of the powers conferred by clause (o) of sub section (2) of section 92 read with section 31 of Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 (34 of 2006) the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India proposes to make Food Safety and Standards Regulations in so far as they relates to Food Safety and Standards(Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations, 2011, and;
Whereas these draft Regulations were published in consolidated form at pages 1 to 776 in the Gazette of India. Extraordinary Part III – Sec. 4 dated 20th October 2010 inviting objections and suggestions from all persons likely to be affected thereby before the expiry of the period of thirty days from the date on which the copies of the Gazette containing the said notification were made available to the public;
And whereas the copies of the Gazette were made available to the public on the 21st October 2010;
And whereas objections and suggestions received from the stakeholders within the specified period on the said draft Regulations have been considered and finalized by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India.
Now therefore, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India hereby makes the following Regulations, namely,-
FOOD SAFETY AND STANDARDS (LICENSING AND REGISTRATION OF FOOD BUSINESSES),REGULATIONS 2011
1.1: Short title and commencement-
1.1.1: These regulations may be called the Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations, 2011.
1.1.2: These regulations shall come into force on or after 5th August, 2011
1.2.1: In these regulations unless the context otherwise requires:
1. “Central Licensing Authority” means Designated Officer appointed by the Chief Executive Officer of the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India in his capacity of Food Safety Commissioner.
2. “District” means a revenue district in state and UTs provided that the Commisioner of Food Safety may, for the purpose of this Act declare any local area as a district on the basis of:
- Concentration of specific category of food businesses which may need special attention.
- Risk assessment carried out by the Authority from time to time.
- Any other specific regulatory requirements.
3. “Licensing Authority” means the Designated Officer appointed under section 36 (i) of the Act by the Commissioner of Food Safety of the state or by the Chief Executive Officer of the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India in his capacity of Food Safety Commissioner
Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food businesses) Regulation, 2011.